Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My local chapter of the Red Cross keeps calling me saying they are low on my blood type (A +)..?

I didn't think A + was a rare type, or is it that it's so common more people need it? I was just wonder if you think they are just saying that to get me to come in. I haven't donated since I was 17 and I'm 24 now. I had a bad experience when I was in high school. I was with one of my friends and her eyes rolled back into her head and she started to shake. This one person didn't know how to handle it. Someone had to tell them what they should do. I still gave after that cuz I got the person who knew what they were doing, but I got really nauseous when I donated, almost like I was gonna black out.My local chapter of the Red Cross keeps calling me saying they are low on my blood type (A +)..?
I have been giving blood since I was 17. I am now 70 and still giving. I have never had any of the symptoms you are describing. I rather think yours are caused by nervous tension. Be sure to eat before you go and drink lots of water. And be sure you eat and drink what they have to offer after you give and sit and rest a little while after giving. Don't give up. Your blood is needed!
It's not that it's terribly rare, but when someone needs blood, they need their type.
I used to donate blood every time they called me, too - my type is O+, the most common type - and the first few times, I reacted badly, too. I found that I needed to eat a big meal at least 30 minutes before donating, and make sure I'm WELL-hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment