Saturday, October 23, 2010

My doctor gave me...?

sulfamethoxazole, (also known as bactrium, bethaprim, cotrim, septra) for a uti. Has anyone ever taken this, and what was their experience with it? I'm afraid that it might make me sick to my stomach (I'm terrified of throwing up). So if you could just give me your experiences with this (good and bad, but I'd prefer good) I would be eternally grateful. Thanks so much.My doctor gave me...?
Try eating something when you take it, and it has to be taken with a full glass of water, this is important.
Sulfamethoxazole is an anti- bacterial sulfonamide. It prevents the formation of dihydrofolic acid, a compound that bacteria must be able to make in order to survive. Although it was once a very useful antibiotic, it is almost obsolete as a single agent today due to the development of bacterial resistance to its effects. Sulfamethoxazole is now used primarily in combination with trimethoprim, a combination product known as Bactrim or Septra. Sulfamethoxazole was approved by the FDA in 1961.
Its side effects dizziness, headache, lethargy, diarrhea, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, and rash.
Since these side effects are not there for you donot worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment