Saturday, October 23, 2010

My feet have been very swollen for 2 months since my brain surgery. I went to my regular doc and he asked me?

to take the pee exam. He said he would have the result soon and if didn't call me it would be there is no problem. I haven't got called but my feet are still swollen. What could it be? How can they improve?My feet have been very swollen for 2 months since my brain surgery. I went to my regular doc and he asked me?
I don't know how old you are or what other medical conditions you have, so I can't answer specifically. Leg swelling is generally from fluid retention, which can be from heart failure diabetes insipidus status post brain surgery, (but dependent on where the surgery was,).
General treatments are elevating the legs at a level higher than the heart, which may entail laying on a couch or bed with pillows under the legs, taking a diuretic, or water pill to decrease the amount of body fluds, or increasing activity. Lymph bathes the cells, but has no active transport method and thus falls to the lowest point. Muscle movement pushes the lymph fluid back to where it belongs.
Another scenario is that you are protien deficient. Protien is like a sponge that holds the excess fluid in the veins. When your body protien is low, the fluid leaks into the tissue. So try increasing your protien intake.
In general (and I wish I had more info so I could be more specific) I would say, keep the legs elevated, increase your protien intake and if that doesn't help talk to your doctor bout starting a diuretic, a medicine that decreases body water.
Goos luck and best wishes.
I think it could be kidney or splein failure.
Could not be related to the surgery, sometimes people have congestive heart failure at a young age. There are other problems. Suggest elevating your feet about 6inches while sleeping or resting. Be careful with the salt and Junk food.
Fluid pills may help. If I didn't find out soon I would get another DR. Good Luck And God Bless You.

No comments:

Post a Comment